Friday, April 06, 2007

Preface to God Delusion

Dawkins states 4 objectives, or 'consciousness-raising messages', as he calls them.

1) An atheist can be 'happy, balanced, moral, and intellectually fulfilled'. So far, so good.

He also points out that without religion, there'd be no 9/11, no Taliban blowing up statues, no Israel/Palestine problem, no Serb/Croat problems, and other fairly dubious propositions. Without religion, true, there'd be no Taliban blowing up statues - in part because there wouldn't be statues in the first place; ethnic conflicts would still be there, I'd imagine ("The Ethnicity Delusion"). But this is nitpicking. Weirdly, he doesn't mention the Inquisition.

2) Natural selection powerfully explains a lot. Agreed.

3) is not explicitly pointed out, but I think is 'Children can't be religious'. More on that later, I guess.

4) 'Atheist pride'. Sounds like (1) - so I can agree with that, I guess. A funny bit about Julia Sweeney's mom saying she could take that her daughter didn't believe in God, but did she have to be an atheist, as well?

Well, so far, out of his 4 consciousness raising points, I already agree with at least 3. I suspect there may be some difficulty when we get to the details.

No comments: